In the highly competitive landscape that comprises today’s healthcare industry, the flow of patient visits can make or break a company. Within the orthopedic surgery industry, spine surgery is one of the most competitive areas in which the amount of patients walking through the door is essential to the growth of any practice.
Identifying a qualified patient in order to provide more office visits and quality care is a core challenge most healthcare companies – especially those in the spine surgery industry, where patients are looking for a long-term solution to their pain – are continually dealing with and searching for ways to improve upon.
NJ Spine & Orthopedic, a burgeoning spine care clinic and surgery center with nationally recognized surgeons and locations in New Jersey, New York and Florida, recognized the importance of putting a marketing team experienced in spine care marketing in charge of growing their business to reach more patients in need of quality, long-term solutions to their back pain.
NJ Spine & Orthopedic came to RUNNER with a challenge:
“Help us increase our patient lead volume while maintaining high lead quality so we can provide more patients with high-quality, minimally invasive procedures.”
NJ Spine & Orthopedic’s goals went beyond securing a simple office visit. The ultimate goal was to increase the number of spine surgeries through those visits in order to reach more patients to provide the best in quality spine care. Our objective was to bring in a higher volume of qualified leads through paid online search marketing (PPC) and organic digital marketing so the patient care team could convert those leads to patients.
To accurately gauge the challenges presented and execute a winning marketing strategy, we observed and analyzed current patient coordination processes, pinpointed holes in lead generation tactics, and evaluated issues negatively affecting website conversion rates (the percentage of online visitors who become leads by completing a form on the website) in order to implement a digital strategy focused on paid search, inbound and conversion-based marketing.
We aligned our defined marketing objectives with NJ Spine & Orthopedic’s marketing goals by employing a number of tactics aimed to increase the performance of the current website by drawing in more site visitors that qualified for the clinic’s minimally invasive treatments and then converting them into leads at a predicable rate to achieve the higher conversion rate we aimed for.
A long-term marketing solution that would continuously reap results over time was equally important for achieving growth in patient care and quality procedures. Organic traffic is imperative to a long-term growth solution, which is why in a highly regulated industry such as healthcare, we focused on creating brand differentiation and awareness with website design improvements, a logo redesign, and a reworking of on-page SEO (search engine optimization).
Understanding what “quality” traffic sent to the website meant for NJ Spine & Orthopedic was key to achieving a higher ratio of on-site conversions. We distinguished every possible type of online user that might visit the website and identified which stage in the marketing funnel they would fall under to more accurately gauge their needs for the patient coordinators. We then applied our knowledge to marketing initiatives to ensure a solid digital strategy.
Here is a detailed look into our tactics implemented over a span of 8 weeks:
- Integrated Paid Search Campaigns: We implemented intricate paid search campaigns on both a national and local level to generate traffic, and send that traffic to specific landing pages relevant to that user’s search query to generate leads that could result in increased patient care opportunities. Read more about some of the PPC marketing hacks we implemented that you may not be using. The outcome? We boosted lead volume and enhanced the quality of those leads by merging paid search efforts with our website conversion and SEO tactics to amplify results.
- Conversion-Based Website Changes: We identified and implemented conversion-based website changes that needed to be made to increase lead generation through a website overhaul and redesign with a key focus on on-site conversions. Once implemented, our focus was to increase conversions through these three tactics:
- Landing page improvements (a landing page is a webpage specifically designed to attract potential leads with the key purpose of converting the user).
- Developed on-page patient pain assessments and check tools to engage site visitors and help them self-diagnose their back pain symptoms, which had a drastic and direct result on the conversion rate increase.
- Better lead allocation system with NJ Spine & Orthopedic’s website that improved the marketing-to-patient coordinator handoff process and contributed to higher rates of providing quality spine care to patients.
- On-page SEO (search engine optimization): We reworked the website’s current SEO elements to align with what NJ Spine & Orthopedic’s online audience who qualify for minimally invasive spine care would most likely search for in order to draw in more organic visitors, increase time spent on the website, and decrease bounce rate (when users leave your website almost immediately to view the main search engine results page again to find a more qualified match to their query) in effort to provide more spine care to more patients who need it.
- Branding: We refurbished and designed a new logo that embodied a modern & sleek feel to emulate NJ Spine & Orthopedic’s advancements in the spine industry paired with the cutting-edge technology used in their procedures.
- Content Marketing: We employed a strategic content marketing plan that included blog posts, website content, and articles published on reputable websites within the medical industry, which resulted in organic traffic growth and lead generation.
- Paid Social: We capitalized on paid social media remarketing and ad campaigns to attract new and previous visitors to our website, which resulted in high conversion rates and significant lead generation at a relatively low cost.
- Traditional Marketing: We issued press releases and published articles in both local and national media, recognizing that local patients have a higher probability of scheduling an office visit. Direct success was seen from this tactic – through analytics and establishing lead allocation metrics to online channels, we saw tangible leads from media coverage.
Through our work in brand identity, paid search marketing, digital conversion-based marketing, website design and optimization, we were able to increase organic traffic by 67%, reduce the landing page bounce rate by 19% and increase overall conversion rate by 157% within an 8 week period.
Additionally, we drove lead volume up by 125%, which resulted in a 45% decrease in cost per lead.
Despite a competitive industry landscape and ambitious spine care growth goals, RUNNER was able to guide NJ Spine & Orthopedic to success through clearly identifying the objective, creating a sensible yet innovative solution to a challenge, and executing a smart, cohesive marketing strategy.
Want this in black and white?
Download This Case Study [PDF]
CONTACT RUNNER for a free marketing consultation to find solutions that are right for you.