In the highly competitive landscape that comprises today’s healthcare industry, the flow of patient visits can make or break a company. Within the orthopedic surgery industry, spine surgery is one of the most competitive areas in which the amount of patients walking through the door is essential to the growth of any practice.
Identifying a qualified patient in order to provide more office visits and quality care is a core challenge most healthcare companies – especially those in the spine surgery industry, where patients are looking for a long-term solution to their pain – are continually dealing with and searching for ways to improve upon.
International Spine and Sports Institute, a multi-location spine care practice and surgery center with nationally recognized surgeons and locations throughout Florida, recognized the importance of putting a marketing team experienced in spine care marketing in charge of growing their business to reach more patients in need of quality, long-term solutions to their back pain.
International Spine and Sports Institute came to RUNNER with a challenge:
“Help us grow our practice! We want to increase our patient lead volume while maintaining high lead quality so we can provide more patients with high-quality, minimally invasive procedures.”
International Spine and Sports Institute’s goals went beyond securing a simple office visit. The ultimate goal was to increase the number of spine surgeries through those visits in order to reach more patients to provide the best in quality spine care. Our objective was to bring in a higher volume of qualified leads through paid search marketing (PPC) and organic digital marketing, qualify those leads as efficiently as possible, convert those leads into.
Our Evaluation and Resulting Plan
To accurately gauge the challenges presented and execute a winning marketing strategy, we observed and analyzed current patient coordination processes, pinpointed holes in lead generation tactics, and evaluated issues negatively affecting website conversion rates (the percentage of online visitors who become leads by completing a form on the website).
Given the client’s business growth objectives, it was clear to us that we would recommend our complete High-Velocity Patient Acquisition Program – our unique marketing + patient contact center approach to Spine and Ortho practice marketing.
A long-term marketing solution that would continuously reap results over time was equally important for achieving growth in patient care and quality procedures. Organic traffic is imperative to a long-term growth solution, which is why in a highly regulated industry such as healthcare, we focused on creating brand differentiation and awareness with website design improvements, a logo redesign, and a reworking of on-page SEO (search engine optimization).
Understanding what “quality” traffic sent to the website meant for International Spine and Sports Institute was key to achieving a higher ratio of on-site conversions. We distinguished every possible type of online user that might visit the website and identified which stage in the marketing funnel they would fall under to more accurately gauge their needs for the Patient Advocates. We then applied our knowledge to marketing initiatives to ensure a solid digital strategy.
Here is a detailed look into our tactics implemented over a span of 12 weeks:
- Integrate our Patient Contact Center with the Practice: To truly improve the efficiency of this spine and ortho practice, and to capitalize on every patient lead opportunity, we implemented our Patient Advocate, MRI Reviewing Physician, and Appointment-setting services to the practice. Our goal was to deliver timely feedback and care to patients, while increasing the number of surgical consults.
- Patient-Centric Website Development: We identified and implemented conversion-based website changes that needed to be made to increase lead generation through a website overhaul and redesign with a key focus on on-site conversions.Our focus was to increase conversions through these three tactics:
- Landing page improvements (a landing page is a webpage specifically designed to attract potential leads with the key purpose of converting the user).
- Developed relevant calls-to-action like patient Pain Assessments quizzes, MRI Review offers, and Treatment Check tools to engage site visitors and help them self-diagnose their back pain symptoms, which had a drastic and direct result on the conversion rate increase.
- Better lead allocation system with International Spine and Sports Institute’s website that improved the marketing-to-patient coordinator handoff process and contributed to higher rates of providing quality spine care to patients.
- Paid Search Advertising: We implemented paid search campaigns using our proven system for spine and ortho practice marketing to generate traffic, and sent that traffic to specific landing pages relevant to that user’s search query to generate leads that could result in increased patient care opportunities. The outcome? We boosted lead volume and enhanced the quality of those leads by merging paid search efforts with our website conversion and SEO tactics to amplify results.
- Search Engine Optimization: Our efforts started with On-page optimization and Local SEO for the practice. We reworked the website’s content and meta tags to align with the keywords typically used by International Spine and Sports Institute’s target audience. Our work here would be measured by an increase time spent on the website, and a decrease in bounce rate (when users leave your website almost immediately to view the main search engine results page again to find a more qualified match to their query), and new patient leads of course.
- Revised Practice Branding and Messaging: We designed a new logo that embodied a modern & sleek feel to emulate International Spine and Sports Institute’s deep experience and advancements in the spine surgery industry.
- Content Marketing: We employed a strategic content marketing plan that included blog posts, website content, and articles published on reputable websites within the medical industry, which resulted in organic traffic growth and lead generation.
- Social Media Advertising: We capitalized on remarketing campaigns on social media channels like Facebook to stay in front of previous visitors to our website, which resulted in high conversion rates and significant lead generation at a relatively low cost.
- Traditional Marketing: We issued press releases and published articles in both local and national media, recognizing that local patients have a higher probability of scheduling an office visit. Direct success was seen from this tactic – through analytics and establishing lead allocation metrics to online channels, we saw tangible leads from media coverage.
Through our work in brand identity, paid search marketing, digital conversion-based marketing, website design and optimization, we were able to increase organic traffic by 67%, reduce the landing page bounce rate by 19% and increase overall conversion rate by 157% within an 8 week period.
Additionally, we drove lead volume up by 125%, which resulted in a 45% decrease in cost per lead.
Despite a competitive industry landscape and ambitious spine care growth goals, RUNNER was able to guide International Spine and Sports Institute to success through clearly identifying the objective, creating a sensible yet innovative solution to a challenge, and executing a smart, cohesive marketing strategy.
CONTACT RUNNER for a free marketing consultation to find solutions that are right for you.